The application deadline for our 2023 Mentoring Program has passed. This year’s participants will be announced in the near future.
The Wilson Ornithological Society Mentoring Program is aimed at providing meaningful mentorship to students and early-career ornithologists. We recognize that, as is the case with many professional societies, those currently involved with the WOS are generally members of the networks of those who preceded them, which adds to the substantial barriers already faced by many in entering our profession. The WOS mentoring program aims to address this by 1) providing mentorship on the wide variety of careers available in ornithology and avian conservation and how to build skills to be competitive for these careers; 2) building mentees’ professional networks to aid them as they navigate decision points throughout their careers, and 3) providing information on how to be involved with professional societies in general and the WOS in particular.
We will be welcoming at least three mentees into the program’s 2023 cohort. They will meet as a group for professional development and will also meet individually with mentors virtually via Zoom leading up to and after the June 2023 meeting. In the coming years we hope to expand this program to support larger cohorts. This year, we are also hoping to identify people who are interested in serving as mentors prior to the start of the 2023 mentoring program.
Mentees will receive:
- Conference registration, lodging and travel expenses to 2023 WOS meeting
- WOS membership for one year following the award
- Individual career mentoring
- Professional development webinars and workshops
- Networking opportunities to meet professionals from diverse fields
Eligibility and Application Instructions
Potential Mentees (individuals interested in receiving mentorship):
Applications are due February 10, 2023. For the 2023 cohort, the applicant must:
- Currently live within a ten hour drive of Allentown, PA;
- Be a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student, or have been a student in the past five years; and
- Be available to attend the entire June 2023 meeting (June 20-23).
To apply: The application will be a single PDF document that consists of 1) a two-page statement of career interests and what you hope to gain from the program, and 2) a resume or CV (two pages maximum). Please send your application as an attachment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “WOS Mentoring 2023.”
Potential mentors (individuals interested in serving as mentors):
We are looking for individual who:
- Have an interest in mentoring students;
- Are able to attend a zoom seminar to meet the group of mentees prior to the meeting (each mentor will work with a single mentee, but the zoom meeting will be a group meeting for all mentors and mentees);
- Are able to follow up with mentee after the conference; and
- Are available to attend the entire June 2023 meeting (June 20-23).
If you are interested in serving as a mentor, please fill out this Google form by February 10, 2023.
- February 10: Applications due
- Late February (approx): Mentees announced
- March–June: Monthly meetings with mentors (virtual)
- June 20–23: Attend WOS 2023
- July–August: Two additional meetings with mentors (virtual)
Contact: Medhavi Ambardar, WOS Council, email@example.com