The Wilson Journal of Ornithology is a peer-reviewed quarterly publication consisting of major articles based on original studies of birds and short communications that describe observations of particular interest. Each issue also includes reviews of new books on birds and related subjects, as well as ornithological news. Through an endowment from the late George Miksch Sutton, each issue of the Journal includes a full color frontispiece. Each current volume consists of approximately 500 pages.
The principal focus of WJO is the study of living birds, their natural history, behavior, ecology, distribution, physiology, and conservation. Although many articles originate from work conducted in the western hemisphere, the geographic coverage of WJO is global. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology is internationally recognized as a major journal of ornithology.
All journal content published by the Wilson Ornithological Society is searchable and accessible to members online:
- For publications 1889–1999 (Volumes 1–111 of The Wilson Bulletin) access is through the Searchable Ornithological Research Archive (SORA) at the University of New Mexico.
- BioOne includes all publications 2000–present, as The Wilson Journal of Ornithology. These are volumes 112–present.
- Our publisher Allen Press also maintains an archive of The Wilson Journal of Ornithology. The Allen Press collection begins with Volume 122 (2010).
The WOS also honors authors of articles in WJO with two annual awards:
- The Edwards Prize, awarded by the Editor for the best major article in each volume
- The Storrs Olson Prize, awarded by the Editor for the best book review published in each volume
Important links for authors:
- Manuscript submission portal (Editorial Manager at Allen Press)
- Guidelines for WJO authors (Updated June 2020)
- Pay page charges online here
Please direct communication about WJO to: Ernesto Ruelas Inzunza, Editor, The Wilson Journal of Ornithology, c/o Universidad Veracruzana, Instituto de Biotecnología y Ecología Aplicada, Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico 91090, email@example.com.